Wednesday, 22 July 2026

HUMILITY

 



To be sick and incapacitated turns even the smallest tasks into mountains. Seeing mountains before you all the time, makes you feel very small. It’s a place of powerlessness, a place of vulnerability and a place I didn’t expect, that of humility.

By being dependent on others shows you what you cannot otherwise see – your sense of self-importance. It brings you closer to the understanding that you are not as powerful as you thought you were and that you cannot survive and rise to higher ground on your own merit. In a world of ego that we live in, the lessons that lead to humility are imperative.

Herein is the necessity for humility….. Mortality is a state of weakness which we cannot rise above on our own. The good news is that a path has been provided to a power that can lift us. That path leads to Calvary and is laced with humility.

You might say the Saviour experienced mortal life at ‘ground zero’. And in doing so he ‘descended below all things that he might comprehend all things’: our difficulties, our sorrows, our sins, our imperfections, our sufferings, our inabilities, our mortal weakness (D&C 88:6; 62:1). He descended below all things that He might know the state of weakness of mortal life.

Imagine a God leaving His exalted throne and all that comes with it, to be rejected, spat upon, scourged, reviled and crucified. Imagine the humility it would take to subject yourself to all that, despite the power within your grasp....and all this for the sake of someone else and not yourself. Does it not make you wonder about your self-worth? Embrace the beating of your cherished heart, you were worth it.

I have been keeping a list of the Saviour’s characteristics for many years. So far I have 18. One year I noticed a scripture that stunned me and opened my eyes to the Saviour’s humility:

“Therefore, I command you to build a house unto me, for the gathering together of my saints, that they may WORSHIP ME” (D&C 115:8). Can you imagine the amount of humility it would take for a God totally devoid of pride to say such a thing? It would have to be someone who knows perfectly well who he is, is confident in that knowledge and most of all, has a purity of spirit and heart. Compare this to Lucifer’s desire to be worshipped (Moses 4:1-4; 1:16-19).

It amazes me that someone so powerful who calls himself ‘the king of heaven’ (2 N 10:14), who can create worlds and annihilate them by the power of His word can also be so humble (Helaman 12:9-17; D&C 63:4; Isaiah 11:4). This is the perfection of God, the balance is indisputable.

My mountains have shown me that I can do nothing of myself to rise to the summit but herein lies my hope:

“And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.” (Ether 12:27)

Note that ‘weakness’ at the beginning of this scripture refers to the state of mortality. The ‘weak things’ mentioned at the end of the scripture refers to our individual ‘weaknesses’.

Whether the mountains will be removed or I will be carried to the summit, I know not. I only know that the Saviour of my soul has the power to do both.

O the pain that seared Your heart

As You encountered human misery

On the dusty roads of Galilee!

You embraced it all so lovingly

And took it with You to the hill of Calvary.

You, who ached for our misery,

Became the beacon of hope

For all who accept Your suffering.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 


No comments:

Post a Comment