Sunday 23 June 2024

THE POWER OF WORDS

 


I am always delighted to read in the scriptures about people who have invoked the blessings of heaven through the use of the Saviour's name.  Consider Alma in the Book of Mormon. After days of verbal and physical abuse by their captors, Alma must have realised that just any simple prayer was not going to get him and Amulek out of captivity. Whether Alma thought the only way out was by breaking down the walls of the prison or not, he knew too well where the power to do so lay and his words reflected that knowledge. Alma cried: “O Lord, give us strength according to our faith which is in Christ, even unto deliverance” (Alma 14:26). The cords with which they were bound broke and the walls of the prison were ‘rent in twin’ (v 27).

I am passionate about words. Some years ago I studied about their power. It so happened that at the same time, I was going through the worst experience of my life which left me very broken. This led me to study about the Atonement also.  I decided there and then that my petition to God for a healing could not be just ordinary pleading for help but would have to express my faith in the power of the Atonement. I carefully worded a plea I uttered many times during the day which began like this: “Through my faith in Jesus Christ and the power of His Atonement, I ask…..” The healing came and everything I asked for in that prayer was given. I emerged a better person than I had ever been and my faith in the Atonement was cemented.

Whether we are in need of freedom from bondage due to sin, rising above a debilitating weakness or in need of emotional or physical healing, our petitions need to be next level prayers which affirm our faith in Christ, because when we do this, we have claim on His power. When we place a petition before the Father’s feet and affirm our faith in His Beloved Son, the gate to the power of the Atonement opens. Petitions so uttered carry much more faith that we will receive than mere prayers with the mention of Christ at the very end. Our petitions are more readily granted when they are uttered through our firm faith in the power of the Son.

Whatever prison you are in, the walls will crumble at the mention of your faith in the Son of the living God. There is nothing He cannot do. That power emerged with Him when He emerged from the tomb.

With what heavy steps

You approached the garden’s gate!

You suffered, You atoned,

You hung lifeless on the cross,

As you met Your appointed fate.

 

I waited for my turn on earth

And watched with angels

Your rise from the darkened tomb

That could not contain

The magnitude of You.

 

I saw Your glory that shone so bright

Defeating death and making all anew

And I wept for the greatness of hope

That rose with You.

 

 - CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Faith Has Saved You by Randy Friemel)

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment