Tuesday 18 June 2024

JOY UNSURPASSING

 


I have been of late fascinated with the people in the Book of Mormon who were overcome by the spirit to the point where it exceeded their physical strength and caused unconsciousness: Alma, Ammon, Lamoni, his wife, their servants….(Alma 19:6; 14; 27:17; 36:16-21). It would seem this phenomenon is linked with conversion and I think this is so because when we are being converted to the truth, we are inviting and receiving Christ into our hearts. Alma testified of this when he described his conversion experience at the onset of which he said: “I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me….” (Alma 36:18). If you look at each instance of this separation of body and spirit that happened in the scriptures I have quoted, you will see that one particular word is mentioned in each.

In his reflection on the missionary success of the sons of Mosiah, Alma explains what this word is that overwhelms a person: “Now, when I think of the success of these my brethren my soul is carried away, even to the separation of it from the body, as it were, so great is my JOY” (Alma 29:16). Once again, this joy is linked to the conversion that the sons of Mosiah had success with in their labours.

In D&C 11:13, the Saviour tells us that joy comes through the medium of His spirit; in 52:43, He tells us that He will crown the faithful with joy; in 93:33 and 138:17, He tells us that resurrection will give us a fulness of joy; and then in 101:36, the ultimate promise: “Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in ME your joy is full”. This suggests that being in His presence, resurrected and sanctified, will give us the fulness of joy. I don’t know that we, in our present, mortal state, can even comprehend this state of joy that awaits us. This will be joy un-surpassing.

Last Sunday, I woke up at dawn and memories of my conversion flooded my soul instantly. Perhaps because of my contemplation of this subject. These memories stayed with me most of the day. I reflected over and over on the day I was baptized at the tender age of 18. The minute I was raised out of the water I was so overcome with the spirit that I burst into tears. Reflecting on my journey in the Gospel filled my heart with such joy that I wept most of the day. I recalled the many spiritual moments I have had over the years and many revelations and even memories from my pre-existence and how they all lifted me and grounded my testimony in spiritual awakening. The spirit would not leave me all day on Sunday and I felt I was at heaven’s gate. 

You met me at dawn

With my memories so vast;

I remembered coming to You

Long ago through the water’s gate,

So wide open for my soul to embrace.

 

You flowed through my heart since that day

Showing me the wonder of You;

I have seen Your agonising sacrifice,

Never to be erased.

I hear You, I am Your sheep,

I know You and Your sacrificial pains,

For the believing blood of Israel

Runs through my veins.



- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Find Perfect Joy by B. Laura Wilson)

No comments:

Post a Comment