Tuesday 30 April 2024

THE KEY

 


 

Joseph Smith called the Book of Mormon the keystone of our religion (Introduction, The Book of Mormon). Bruce R. McConkie taught that Joseph's expression that "'the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion' means precisely what it says. The keystone is the central stone in the top of the arch. If that stone is removed, then the arch crumbles, which, in effect, means that Mormonism so-called -- which actually is the gospel of Christ, restored anew in this day -- stands or falls with the truth or the falsity of the Book of Mormon" (Bruce R. McConkie, Conference Report, April 1961, pp.38-39).

Personally, if I take the 'stone' out of it, I end up with the 'key' to all that the Book of Mormon represents to me: the key to my salvation which is in Christ, in His doctrine and in my testimony of same.

On the last leaf of the golden record, Moroni explained the purpose of the Book of Mormon. This explanation is found on the very first page of the book as we have it today. It can be summarized in three words: show, know and convince. To elaborate, it is to show the remnant of the house of Israel (Lamanites) what great things God had done for them; so that they may know the covenants and one day be converted; and it is to convince the Jew and the Gentile that Jesus is the Christ.

When Joseph Smith called the Book of Mormon the keystone of our religion he also said that 'a man would get nearer to God by abiding its precepts, than by any other book' (Introduction, The Book of Mormon). This promise has been repeated by many other prophets since Joseph. In 1963, Spencer W. Kimball said this: "But after all, it is not the book's dramatic crisis, its history, its narrative that are so important, but its power to transform men into Christlike beings worthy of exaltation" (Spencer W. Kimball, Conference Report, April 1963, p. 6).

I have read and studied the Book of Mormon many times and I still continue to be mesmerised by the clarifications and purity which it contains of the doctrine of Christ. I love the Bible. I love the Old Testament which to me is the root of the covenant. I love the New Testament because it is the most spiritually charged book of scripture which brings the Saviour to reality but I am very passionate about TRUE doctrine and do not tolerate well hearing the doctrine of the gospel convoluted or misrepresented or diluted. The Book of Mormon excels in the verity of the doctrine. To me it is the KEY to the truth. It is my key to understanding Christ, His Atonement, His teachings, His saving grace.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Moroni Burying the Plates by Katie Payne)


No comments:

Post a Comment