Thursday, 6 August 2026

THE POWER OF TRIBULATION

 



It was revealed to me a while ago that I was strong and fearless in my pre-mortal life but I suspect that I was so self-assured that I was bordering on being cocky.  I think I honestly thought I was going to ace it here on earth.

Being an idealist, I was attracted to the Church in my youth because it felt like I had found the principle that was going to give me power to become who I wanted to be and that principle was obedience. I thought through obedience to the Gospel laws I was to become this giant of endurance and strength in the face of evil, temptation and tribulation. Obedience became everything to me. I did well enduring trials for many years so then my goal morphed into something else – dying with amazing achievements under my belt and going home in triumph. I was going to return home with honour.

What I didn’t realise is that honour lies in un-glamorous attributes such as endurance, repentance, humility and compassion amongst others. Honour lies in what you become and not in what you have achieved.  Never did I expect that an invisible monster called pain would come to live on my back with its claws in my flesh and would have so much power over me. This monster has taken me on a roller coaster of struggling emotions and has robbed me of motivation to achieve anything on more days than I care to admit.

I have always admired Job because he was a ‘strong person’ in the midst of his tribulation but now that I understand that monster that was on his back too, what I think he stands for the most is the proof of the reward of his endurance. More of that as we study the book of Job.

“Enduring ‘well’ means passing the breaking point without breaking, having cause to be bitter – as men measure cause – without being bitter. Enduring ‘well’ means the disciple in the very trough of his difficulties avoids, as Job wisely did, having ‘charged God foolishly’.”  (Neal A. Maxwell, Meek and Lowly, p 115)

We are told that we are here to walk by faith but I would say that the higher path of faith is trust.  It is easy to believe in God but it is not easy to trust Him. For instance, King Mosiah of the Book of Mormon tells us that unless we submit to ‘all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon us’, even as a child submits to his father, we can never overcome the natural man (Mosiah 3:19). This is a hard doctrine that asks of us an exorbitant amount of trust in the process that will refine us and make us rise above the mortal self to eternal glory. Job understood this when he said regarding his suffering: “when he hath tried me I shall come forth as gold” (Job 23:10). This is trust, when you can accept your extreme suffering believing it will be for your ultimate good.

When we can trust in a God, we cannot see, and His plan for us, which we cannot remember ever agreeing to, that is ultimate trust. I am a firm believer of freedom of choice that existed even before this life but I didn’t know our freedom to choose determined the course of our earthly lives to such an extent as it does. This was confirmed to me just recently when I asked God if my illness was in my life’s plan and received an answer I did not expect:  “Yes. You chose it over mental illness. You wanted to keep your brain so you could understand the doctrines of the kingdom and teach it to others and so you could bear witness of Christ.”

This revelation made amazing sense of my life. The next day I reflected on it and realized the exact nature of that choice I made so long ago.  I remembered my physical illness runs in my family as does dementia. I think I was told when my plan was devised that these two illnesses will be in the genetic legacy of my family and I was given the choice as to which one I would prefer to suffer. I chose the monster and I know my choice went beyond my desire to keep my mind.

Trust was the major component of our willingness to come to a world of suffering. Our trust in the saving grace of the Atonement of Jesus Christ would have been supreme before we came. No sane person would accept a painful plan with the risk of being lost, without a sure way of eventual escape. It would be like entering a tunnel knowing there is no exit at the end. We knew that the Saviour could do it and would do it. Trust is also double sided. The Father’s ability to send us to temporary affliction shows His utmost trust in His Beloved Son and the process of the Atonement, knowing full well that because of it we would survive.

When I entered my stage of illness I became very introspective of my life. Somehow I felt I was to blame for the hard life I was given but a realization came to me that I followed my heart in all my major decisions and steps I took and I realized I was being guided and I responded to that guidance with trust. Knowing that freed me from self-accusation. I am learning now to accept submission in this the hardest leg of my journey…..and I’m hearing clearly the agony of those famous words coming from Gethsemane: “nevertheless not my will but thine be done” (Luke 22:42)

I viewed my life as hopeless pieces

And shame consumed my fragile heart.

I questioned every move and every choice;

I berated; I gave no value to any part.

Not until my trust consumed me

And my will to heavens flew

Did solace nestle in my soul

And such freedom as I never knew.

 

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

No comments:

Post a Comment