“We will acknowledge someday, before God and all his
children, that life on this earth, that which we longed for as premortal
spirits desiring mortality, was the perfect school for our development. Though
the curriculum was exacting, the tests were more than adequately supervised by
the schoolmaster. Though the homework was extensive, again our teacher was our
constant support.” (Jerry A. Wilson, The Great Plan of Happiness – Insights
From the Lectures on Faith, p 75)
Looking back on Job’s life and considering the perfection of
his character, it is obvious that the test of his life had to equal the stature
of the man otherwise it would not have qualified as a test. I don’t know how
long Job’s test of faith lasted. The Bible does not tell us the exact length
though most biblical scholars and estimates suggest it lasted anywhere from
several months to under a year, composed of these timeline clues:
-
Initial
Losses: Job’s sudden loss of children and livestock happened rapidly, unfolding
over a single catastrophic day (Job 1:13-19)
-
The
Silent Mourning: Job’s three friends sat with him in silence for seven days and
seven nights after seeing his physical affliction (Job 2:13)
-
Months
of Suffering: Job laments in Job 7:3 that he has been allotted ‘months of
futility’ and wearisome nights, suggesting his physical misery lasted a
prolonged period.
-
The
Discourses: Time passed during the lengthy back-and-forth dialogue between Job
and his friends, followed by Elihu’s speeches and God speaking from the
whirlwind (Job 38-41).
I have looked back to the greatest test of my faith and have
been amazed to discover how perfectly fitted it was to me even though I would
never want to repeat anything like that. This test of faith challenged my best
attribute and my very essence of being and who I am. I have only just now discovered
how intricate the schoolmaster has been with me. The attribute that was tested
also happens to be my biggest strength that has kept me active in the Church
and ensured my obedience to the Gospel.
The test that I passed lasted much longer than Job’s. It
lasted for 11 years and in fact added another 30 years of ensued issues and
fears that needed to be resolved. This has been my extensive homework that has
made my life difficult but has in the process developed the strength of
character I will carry with me into eternity.
The teacher has indeed been my
constant support and has because of my endurance granted me the wish of my
heart….to keep me in His sight.
I failed to understand
Why such deep trials in my life,
I expected much better in my arrogant
pride.
How merciful You were Father
To help me see the purpose of the tide;
That through my bruised and aching heart
You kept me by Your loving side.
- CATHRYNE ALLEN

No comments:
Post a Comment