Sunday, 2 August 2026

FOR SUCH A TIME 1

 


In years past I have routinely skipped the four chapters of highly detailed instructions given to Moses regarding the building of the tabernacle and priestly robes during Israel’s journeying. Quite simply, I found it difficult to relate to either the materials or methods used for such an undertaking. I was, however, always amazed at the workmanship required of ancient Israel and wondered how they would know how to accomplish it without highly skilled labour. After all, they were just slaves.

This is what happens when you skim the scriptures…..you miss something important. One year I decided to look at these four chapters of explicit instructions more closely. What I discovered was Jehovah telling Moses the names of the men and what tribe they are in Israel’s congregation that can do the work needed. He then tells him that HE has ‘filled’ them with wisdom and knowledge and understanding ‘in all manner of workmanship……that they may make all that I have commanded thee’ (Exodus 31:2-6). I don’t know how or when, but somehow these men were inspired some time, somewhere, to have an interest in specific skills that were needed for an important work they would one day do.

In one of my previous blogs I wrote about individual plans God had for each of us that was best suited to who we are and what we can accomplish. I shared a quote that best explains this and I share it here again for those who missed it: “When we say God has a plan, he truly has a plan – not simply a grand scale, but for each of us as individuals, allocating some special talent to this dispensation and some to another. I regard God as the perfect personnel manager, even though He must work with and through all of us who are so imperfect. I assume, gladly, that in the allocation to America of remarkable leaders like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Abraham Lincoln, the Lord was just as careful. After all, if you’ve got only one Abraham Lincoln, you’d better put him in that part of history when he’s most needed….” (Neal A. Maxwell, “Deposition of a Disciple”, p 46)

We are about to study the book of Esther this week in our Church “Come Follow Me” programme. Esther is an amazing example of being in the right place at the right time on this earth. A Jewish girl who became the queen of Persia at the time that her people needed saving shows us what power we as individuals have and how we are to use it for God’s purposes and for humanity.

When Esther’s adopted father, Mordecai, discovered the plot to kill the Jews at the same time that the King of Persia was looking for a new queen, he told Esther she could save her people from extinction because “who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” (Esther 4:14).

Like the ancient men of Israel’s camp, we have been imbued with wisdom, understanding and knowledge to achieve what is expected of us and like Esther, He has placed us here at the right time to do so. In God’s great wisdom He has reserved the most valiant, the strongest, the most dependable servants for ‘such a time as this’ when evil abounds upon the earth in unequalled measure. We are the ones who can withstand the onslaught and who have covenanted long before this earth began that we would uphold the ensign of truth and proclaim to the earth that the God of our fathers is with us still.

I would have never been a good fit for Babylon or any other time and place of this earth but here and now where technology has given me a voice and God knew this……it’s my saving grace.

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Queen Esther by Unknown Artist)


No comments:

Post a Comment