Monday, 31 August 2026

PROVERBS AND ECCLESIASTES

 



It is important to consider three practical things when studying these two books of scripture:

 

1.      The wisdom given in these books is wisdom that is applicable to this life only.  It is wisdom from a worldly perspective meant to aid us in earthly life. When Ecclesiastes repeatedly says 'under the sun', he is meaning he is intentionally restricting his point of view to this world;

2.      The reason we need to apply wisdom 'under the sun' is because everything is 'vanity'. 'Vanity' in Ecclesiastes means transitory or fleeting, thus the repeated and frequent use of this word denotes that he who applies wisdom in his life is wise, for this life is fleeting and will one day come to an end (Bible Dictionary, s.v. "Ecclesiastes");

3.      Wisdom in these two books of scripture is allegorized as a woman because the word 'wisdom' is feminine in gender thus an adulterous woman in Proverbs is a metaphor for foolishness as foolishness is the opposite of wisdom.

 

The most valuable lesson we can take away from Proverbs and Ecclesiastes is the admonition 'to trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding' (Prov. 3:5). This is true wisdom.  

 

The italic preface to chapter 8 of Proverbs tells us that 'the Lord and the sons of men possessed wisdom in premortal life'. 'Sons of men' refers to anyone who has been born in mortality, in other words, earthly beings.

 

The wisdom we possessed in premortal life enabled us to choose the Firstborn as our Saviour and to fight the forces of evil opposed to the Father's plan. Now that we are living on the other side of the veil, wisdom is once again needed to enable us to trust the choice we made so long ago. In this respect wisdom and trust go hand in hand. One day when this fleeting existence is ended we will have to account for our use of wisdom by which we conducted our mortal lives.

 

The other side of our trust in the Lord is His trust in us: "The Lord wants us to trust  him, but He also wants to be able to trust us. One of our great prophet leaders said, 'To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved' (David O. Mckay, "Character", True To The Faith, Bookcraft, 1966, p. 274).

 

One of the principal purposes of this life is to find out if the Lord can trust us: “One of our familiar scriptures says, 'And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them' (Abraham 3:25). We are destined to be tried, tested, and proven during our sojourn on earth to see if we are trustworthy” (Robert E Wells, "The Cs of Spirituality", Ensign Nov 1978, p 24).

 

I tend to agree with the importance of trust. I receive a great boost of self-esteem when I attend to my responsibilities which are based on this principle. I learnt about this in great detail many years ago. One of the self-help gurus I used to follow impressed upon me how much she loves paying her bills. I was taken aback by it but she assured her readers that paying her bills increased her self-respect because whenever she paid a bill it affirmed to her that the person who provided her with a service trusted her to pay for it.

Even though I always paid my bills, I had never considered this concept before but I took it to heart and have seen the benefits of it. To this day I pay all my bills with cheerfulness and on time. I am never late paying anyone. Whenever I pay what I owe straight away it not only makes me feel good about my trustworthy character, but it tells me that I am not poor. I come from a poor family so not feeling poor goes a long way with me.

I love that I can be trusted. This principle has infiltrated my spiritual life too. The importance of being trusted has helped me to stay true to my convictions and my testimony of the Gospel. I honour the witnesses I have received from the Holy Ghost regarding Gospel truths to the point of stubbornness. Whereas I don’t hold it against people who move away from the Church, I often cannot understand how they can be baptised promising to join the body of Christ and not following through.  

I have a great desire to meet God one day with a pure heart, having honoured all my covenants with Him and having done all I could to obey His commandments. I have sacrificed much over the years to make this desire a reality.

I marvel that You could perceive

every thought of my heart,

Long before you gifted one to me;

That you trusted my will to obey

With You so dim in my memory.

I stand amazed at Your sufferance

Of the struggling sinner like me,

And the steadfast flow of help You bestow

From the merciful heart that is in Thee.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

No comments:

Post a Comment