Sunday 25 February 2024

THE SHADOW OF HIS WINGS

 


Nephi’s testimony of the Saviour Jesus Christ is intoxicating, is it not? In describing, in magnificent detail, the Jewish fate of scattering and gathering in 2 Nephi chapter 25, Nephi’s prophecy of their rejection of Messiah and His consequent death is heart wrenching but the hope he also offers is unmistakable. In verse 13, Nephi says after the Jews shall crucify the Christ and ‘he is laid in a sepulchre for the space of three days he shall rise from the dead’ and here is the hope of all hope and the truth of all truth, on which salvation rests…..’with HEALING IN HIS WINGS’.

In scriptural use of symbolism, the wings are ‘a representation of power, to move, to act, etc.’ (D&C 77:4). So Christ rose from the dead, healed, with power……the power to also heal us, to succor us, to protect us, to enable us, to save us, to resurrect us, to sanctify us, to exalt us.

The Jewish race, God’s covenant people, will one day experience the healing power of their Shiloh (JST Gen 50:24) when He comes to save them from their foes. They will experience the power of His protective wings and be converted to the Holy One of Israel.

Daniel F. Gerhartz who painted this magnificent painting titled ‘In the Shadow of Your Wings’ said: “My desire as an artist is that the images I paint would point to the Creator, and not to me, the conveyor. Johann Sebastian Bach said it well as he signed his work, ‘Soli Deo Gloria’, ‘To God alone be the glory’”…….indeed.

I long to reside in Your presence;

To never know sadness

Or the wretched heat of my tears.

I know I will be safe there

Where fears cannot find me

And trials cannot scar me.

I know there will be safety

In the shadow of Your wings

My burdens You will lift

And wipe away my sins.

 

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: In The Shadow of Your Wings by Daniel H. Gerhartz)

No comments:

Post a Comment