Wednesday, 30 September 2026

TRUSTING HIM

 



Besides His repeated declaration to Israel that He is God and that there is ‘none else’, the Saviour spoke a lot about himself and what He is like. The scriptures are replete with statements like: “I the Lord speak righteousness, I declare things that are right” (Isaiah 45:19). He also often speaks, throughout the scriptures, of His power, and the wonderful works He has done such as: “I have made the earth, and crated man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded” (Isaiah 45:12).

When He came to earth, He proclaimed Himself as the ‘seven I AM’s, as in the Gospel of John: I am the bread of life (6:31,51); I am the light of the world (8:12); I am the door of the sheep (10:7,9); I am the good shepherd (10:11,14); I am the resurrection and life (11:25); I am the way, the truth and the life (14:6); I am the true vine (15:1-5).

And there is more. He is: THE CREATOR (Helaman 14:12; Moses 1:33; 2:1); THE MEDIATOR (2 Nephi 2:9; D&C 76:69; JST 1 Timothy 2:4; 1 Timothy 2:5); THE ADVOCATE (1 John 2:1; D&C 45:3; 110:4); THE REDEEMER (2 Nephi 2:26); THE GATEKEEPER (2 Nephi 9:41; Mormon 6:17); THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH (Moroni 6:4); MESSENGER OF THE COVENANT (3 Nephi 15:23); THE SAVIOUR (Isaiah 45:15, 20);  THE JUDGE (John 5:22, 30).

Sometimes I think we get rather indifferent by repeatedly reading the scriptures without giving a thought to their deeper meaning and we miss the almost frantic way He is trying to teach us who He is and why we should have no other gods beside Him. Do we really understand His character by these definitions and the bigger question is, do we trust Him?

I once had an experience where, despite all my diligent study of the scriptures for many years,  I was finding it difficult to trust the Saviour concerning a particular matter. I revised all the particulars I had collected over the years about His character as cited above but what stood out to me was one very basic truth….I remembered that He being a God, could not lie. Being a God of truth, it is not in Him to ever utter a lie. I went searching for scriptures that said this directly and had some results: Titus 1:2 says, “God that cannot lie”; Hebrews 6:18 says, “it was impossible for God to lie”; Ether 3:12 says, “Thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie”; and Enos 1:6 says, “God could not lie”.

Why is His integrity important for us to know? Because God cannot lie, He can make promises that challenge our trust in Him:  “who am I saith the Lord, that have promised and have not fulfilled (D&C 58:31). This means, if a promise was made and not fulfilled, we should be very careful when we assess the reason why.

I often hear members of the Church who pay tithing casually say: “there is never enough money, we can’t afford it, we are just scraping by.” When we say things like this, we are affirming that tithing is just another bill. Our negative talk negates the faith and trust that we should be expressing first and foremost in the principle which brings returns.

Another common saying I have noticed among faithful saints is this:  ’I’ll never make it. I am just not good enough.”  This is, in my opinion, a sin. It denies the power of the Atonement and the Saviour’ s ability to redeem us and forgive us of our humanity. If we are faithful and devoted to Him and His laws, doing our best and striving for repentance, we are good enough to qualify for His saving grace. The Lord looks at the total and complete person including the desires and goodness of our hearts as well as our deeds. There is no sin bigger than the Atonement except the denial of the Holy Ghost (Matthew 12:31,32)

One last thing. The biggest proof we have that Christ the Saviour, our God, is a man of infallible integrity and can be trusted beyond reason, is His Atonement. The Atonement performed in mortality was in actuality just a formality. We could draw upon its blessings and power in pre-existence as if it had already happened. Hence, we could be born innocent as it covered our pre-mortal sins:

“Over long eons of time in the premortal realm he proved faithful and dependable and honourable in every commitment, every responsibility, and every charge. The scriptures tell us that “from eternity to eternity he is the same (D&C 76:4). He never deviated from the mark, never slacked in his performance, never shrank from his word. He kept every command with exactness; he discharged every duty with precision; he was “not slack concerning his promise” (2 Peter 3:9).

“His promises were “immutable and unchangeable” (D&C 104:2). As a result, his spiritual credit was rapidly escalating until it was pure gold, even infinite in value. That is why the laws of justice could recognize the benefits of the Atonement before the purchase price was ever paid, because his promise, his pledge, his credit was “good for it”, and everyone who honoured their first estate knew it.

“It was not only when he appeared that he voluntarily laid down his life, but he voluntarily laid down his life from the very day the world came into being. Then he came forth in order to take it, since it had been given as a pledge. Based on that pledge or covenant we had faith in him. Based on that covenant the Father could promise remission of sins prior to the atoning sacrifice because he ‘knew’ his Son would not fail. The issue was not that he could not break his covenant, but rather, that he would not.”   

(Tad. R. Callister, The Infinite Atonement, p 80) 


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 


No comments:

Post a Comment