Wednesday, 2 September 2026

THE POWER OF DESIRE

 


Alma of the Book of Mormon taught that God grants unto men according to their desires, whether it be unto salvation or unto destruction (Alma 29:4). Elder Neal A. Maxwell (1926-2004) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught our desires affect our personal development and eventually determine our eternal blessings:

“Desires…become real determinants, even when, with pitiful naivete, we do not really want the consequences of our desires….therefore, what we insistently desire, over time, is what we will eventually become and what we will receive in eternity.

“Righteous desires need to be relentless, therefore, because, said President Brigham Young, ‘the men and women who desire to obtain seats in the celestial kingdom, will find that they must battle every day’ (in Journal of Discourses, 11:140. Therefore, true Christian soldiers are more than weekend warriors…

“Remember, brothers and sisters, it is our own desires which determine the sizing and the attractiveness of various temptations. We set our thermostats as to temptations. Thus educating and training our desires clearly requires understanding the truths of the gospel, yet even more is involved. President Brigham Young confirmed, saying, ‘it is evident that many who understand the truth do not govern themselves by it; consequently, no matter how true and beautiful truth is, you have to take the passions of the people and mould them to the law of God’ (in Journal of Discourses, 7:55).

-          Neal A. Maxwell, According to the Desire of our Hearts, in CR Oct 1996, Ensign Nov 1996

I have for a long time now believed that our righteous desires come with us into mortality because they are God given. They correspond with God’s plan for our development, growth and work we have been sent here to do. If those desires align with Gospel principles then we can be assured they are innate desires ‘trailing clouds of glory coming from God’…..

If our desires closely match with the values of the world, we can be assured they will not lead us to God. Proverbs and Ecclesiastes warn about such desires extensively:

Proverbs 21:25: The desire of the slothful killeth him; for his hands refuse to labour.

Proverbs 21:26: He coveteth greedily all the day long: but the righteous giveth and spareth not.

Ecclesiastes 5:10: He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.

Ecclesiastes 11:9: acknowledges that people feel drawn to follow their ‘heart’ and ‘eyes’, but adds accountability: ‘walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment. In other words, because what you wish for.

Proverbs 14:12 gives a stark warning that desires that feel right in the moment can lead somewhere dark: “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death”.

Proverbs 11:19 stands in contrast to the destination of death: “As righteousness tendeth to life: so he that pursueth evil pursueth it to his own death.

This is my testimony of the power of desire. For years and years I could only really see the Saviour in my mind as I studied the scriptures and lived the Gospel. Then only a few years ago all of a sudden the Saviour took the back seat and I could see the Father and my longing for Him became uppermost in my mind. I wanted to be with Him, remember Him as I knew Him from my premortal life, and live by His side forever. On some days the desire to be in His presence was so strong I would shed tears. This, of course, is the way it is meant to be. The Saviour came to reveal the Father to us. I could write pages about this based on scripture (see Jeffrey R. Holland’s conference talk “The Grandeur of God” October 2003).

I noticed something very significant after I came to desire the presence of the Father. Obedience became a much easier road to be on. I was elevated in the direction I should go that would lead me to where I wanted to be. I realised desire is the great motivator.  If the desire is strong enough, we will do anything to fulfil it. The destination is the focal point to remember.

Proverbs 10:24: The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted.

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

No comments:

Post a Comment