Wednesday 25 May 2022

WAYWARD CHILDREN

 



This is what I learnt from Nephi today. As I opened the Book of Mormon to start yet another journey through its pages, I noticed a word I had always read but not taken much notice of before. This is the word: “I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore, I was taught SOMEWHAT in all the learning of my father……” (1 Nephi 1:1). It is easy on first glance of this quoted scripture, to surmise that Nephi was such a good man because of his parents, but it is clear by this word that he did not give them all the credit. The dictionary defines ‘somewhat’ as: to some extent or in some measure or degree. What Nephi is clearly saying here is that ‘the great knowledge of the goodness and mysteries of God’ (v1) was more a product of his own effort than of his parents. That is evident through personal tutoring he received from an angel whilst seeking to know the meaning of his father’s vision of the tree of life (1 Nephi 11). In fact, it can be seen throughout Nephi’s life as he demonstrated how willingly he took responsibility for his own salvation.

 

It is human nature that we as parents beat ourselves up when we have wayward children feeling that we have somehow failed. I have been there myself. What we can learn from Lehi’s family is that our children’s salvation depends more so on them than on us.  Try as they may, Lehi and Sariah did not succeed in keeping all of their children on the straight and narrow. I will not elaborate on parents’ responsibility in parenting here. My intent is to make parents of wayward children know that there is hope through the mercies of the God that we love and worship; a God who honours righteous parents and holds their fragile hearts in the palm of His hands;  a God who sorrows over our wayward children as much as we do; a God who has suffered for their disobedience and destructive choices; a God who desires to save each and every one of us; a God who will not forsake those whom we love and yearn to have back in the fold; a God of mercy; a God of forgiveness; a God of love. This is the assurance: “Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold” (Joseph Smith, “Hope for Parents of Wayward Children”, churchofjesuschrist.org).

 

Fear not, they are in His hands…..

 

 

One day when Your tears cease to fall

For the ones that go astray

And You reach for them from Your throne

Your power to display;

I will praise 

I will rejoice

I will join the heavenly throng in song

For the return of the lost

For whom You suffered for so long. 

 

- CATHRYNE ALLEN


(Artist Unknown)


No comments:

Post a Comment