Friday 20 May 2022

ADAM THE PRINCE

 


I came across a scripture this morning that made me weep: “And the Lord administered comfort unto Adam, and said unto him: I have set thee to be at the head; a multitude of nations shall come of thee, and thou art a prince over them forever.” (D&C 107:55). This event happened three years prior to Adam’s death when he called his righteous posterity into the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman to bestow upon them his last blessing. After the Lord administered to him, Adam stood up even though he was ‘bowed down with age, and being full of the Holy Ghost, predicted whatsoever should befall his posterity unto the latest generation’ (v 56). As I wept at these glorious words,  I had a glimpse into my pre-existence and understood how passionately and emotionally I was invested in the Plan of Salvation. I imagine I watched Adam as he was being ordained in heavenly realms to be the head of the human family. If I did, I am certain I wept then too. 

 

My reflection on this heavenly ordination made me remember ‘the noble and great ones’ of our dispensation……US! We know from Doctrine and Covenants 138 that President Joseph F. Smith was allowed to see ‘choice spirits who were reserved to come forth in the fulness of times to take part in laying the foundations of the great latter-day work (v53). He saw ‘the noble and great ones who were chosen in the beginning to be rulers in the Church of God’ (v55). Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated that ‘a host of mighty men and equally glorious women comprised that group of the ‘noble and great ones’ (‘The Man Adam’ by Robert L. Millet).

 

As much as I saw the greatness of Adam in my spiritual experience, I saw the Saviour first and foremost in His simple declaration “I have set thee to be at the head”……I did this. Whereas Adam is the head of the human family, the Saviour is the head of the Plan of Salvation. Whereas Adam is the prince over us ‘forever’, the Saviour is the King. May we never forget we owe all to Him who has created us and atoned for us. Glory be His forever and ever! 


- CATHRYNE ALLEN


(Artist Uknown)

 

 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment