Sunday 14 January 2024

WITH LEHI IN THE DESERT

 


 

I was reading the prophecies of Joseph of Egypt regarding the Lord's promise to him that He would raise up a righteous branch of the House of Israel through his children and I came across these words which impressed me the most: "...and I go down to my grave with joy" (JST Genesis 50:24). As we know Joseph had a terribly hard life. In his own words:  "My brethren hated me...they wanted to kill me.....into a cistern they lowered me....they sold me into slavery.....I was taken into captivity....I was overtaken by hunger....I was alone....I was in weakness...I was in prison.....I was in bonds....assaulted by bitter words of the Egyptians...a slave" (The Old Testament Pseudepigraha, p 819) This is not to mention being cut off from his family whilst in his youth and suffering isolation and spiritual peril in a heathen land. Upon reflection I thought that Joseph was most likely happy to go to his grave to rest from all the challenges and labour he performed in his life time but then a thought struck me that only a man who had lived a good and righteous life and was at peace with God could afford to say such a thing. And this is definitely true of Joseph for he also wrote: "....the Lord loved me....the God of my fathers preserved me...the Most High raised me up....the Lord of all set me free....the strength of His hand came to my aid....the Lord himself fed me generously....God came to help me.....the Lord showed His concern for me...the Saviour acted graciously in my behalf......He rescued me and He exalted me." (The OT Pseudepigraha, p 819)

The scriptures highlight one very important thing through people that have gone on before us....we do not come here to a bed of roses, but more often than not, to a bed of thorns. Even the most noble do not escape. Consider the story of Lehi. He did everything he was commanded of the Lord to do. For that he was forced to flee into a desert "so compelling that even the hardened Bedouins avoid like the plague...detestable certainly describes the place in the eyes of Lehi's people, who 'murmured' bitterly at being led into such a hell." (Hugh Nibley, Lehi In the Desert, p 51). It is in this 'wilderness' of his life that Lehi watched his family suffer constant hunger, being the rule of the desert; danger from encounter with ever warring Arab tribes; loneliness from isolation; taxing marches down the Arabian Peninsula;  fear from possible camp raiders; and constant recurring rebellion of his children. And this was Lehi's life and the life of his family for 8 years. Add on top of this, crossing the Indian Ocean and starting from ground zero in a foreign land.  And what did Lehi say about it all when his time came to cross the bar? No complaints. He recounted how great things the Lord had done for his family in bringing them out of the land of Jerusalem and how merciful He had been (2 Nephi 1:1,4). And then this glorious summation of his life: "...the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love" (2 N 1:15). I think like his forefather Joseph, Lehi was 'happy to go down to his grave', not to rest from his labours but to meet his God.

When our time comes will we be just happy to be rid of this life or will we eagerly rush to meet the God who has loved us, preserved us, led us, blessed us, sustained us and redeemed us? When our time comes, may we be able to say:

"Twilight and evening bell and after that the dark!

And may there be no sadness of farewell when I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place 

The flood may bear me far,

I hope to see my Pilot face to face 

When I have crossed the bar."

(Lord Alfred Tennyson)

 

- Cathryne Allen

(Art: Come Unto Me by Yongsung Kim)


No comments:

Post a Comment