Monday 29 January 2024

ISAIAH AND THE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY

 



Nephi loved Isaiah and referred to him as ‘the prophet’. He quoted him extensively to his people, for one reason, that they may have hope (1 Nephi 19:24). Since Isaiah’s main theme is his testimony of Jesus Christ, who is our hope in this life and in the realms of eternity, it was Nephi’s aim to point his people, and us, in that direction.  

Even though Isaiah wrote in a poetic form using extensive symbolism and spoke of prophecies that were dualistic in nature making it a challenge to understand, it is impossible not to feel the strength of his testimony of the God he called the Holy One of Israel, which permeates his entire book. Consider verses such as these: “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation (Isaiah 12:2); O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou has done wonderful things…….. thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat……(Isaiah 25:1,4); As for our redeemer, the Lord of Hosts is His name, the Holy One of Israel (Isaiah 47:4).

Nephi mentioned three reasons why Isaiah’s writings are hard to understand but he also gave us the pathway to understanding when he said that the words of Isaiah are plain ‘unto those who are filled with the spirit of prophecy (2 Nephi 25:1-5). It is true that knowing the historical background and the manner of prophesying amongst the Jews is most helpful in this endeavour but the depth of our understanding of Isaiah comes from the depth of our testimony ’for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy’ (Revelation 19:10).

I wept and understood the Saviour’s mercy to the House of Israel when I read His quote of Isaiah’s poetic prose during His visit to the Americas: “For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee….with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee….for the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee” (3 Nephi 22:7-10). Is this not the hope that Nephi intended for us of latter days to have? I wonder if he wept too in the realms of heaven when the Saviour quoted ‘the prophet’  to his people, the broken branch….the remnant of the House of Israel.

 

We are Israel, Thy chosen seed

Who in times past disregarded Thee

But now Thine angels rejoice over us

And Thou art as promised dew unto us.

In Thine mercy Thou has sought to gather us

In Thine heart Thou hast chosen to cherish us;

In Thee is deliverance from our barren years

In Thee is mercy for our penitent tears.

- CATHRYNE ALLEN

(Artist Unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment