Friday 19 August 2022

THE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY

 


 

I have one thing to say about brilliant Isaiah, a statesman, a prophet, a poet, a psalmist, a visionary, the mighty seer…..it is impossible not to feel the strength of his testimony of the God he called the Holy One of Israel. Consider verses such as these:     

  • Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation (Isaiah 12:2);
  • O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou has done wonderful things…….. thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat……(Isaiah 25:1,4);
  • As for our redeemer, the Lord of Hosts is His name, the Holy One of Israel (Isaiah 47:4).

Isaiah’s testimony permeates his entire book and references to it are too many to mention here. Why is this important? Because the words of Isaiah are plain ‘unto those who are filled with the spirit of prophecy (2 Nephi 25:4) and the spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Jesus (Revelation 19:10). Many of us are reluctant to study Isaiah because of his reputation that he is hard to understand. It is true that knowing the historical background and the manner of prophesying amongst the Jews is most helpful in this endeavour but the depth of our understanding of Isaiah comes from the depth of our testimony of Jesus.  

Listen to the Saviour’s invitation: “Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the Lord……the people in whose heart is my law: Great are the words of Isaiah….search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me” (Isaiah 51:1,7; 3 Nephi 23:1; John 5:39). When we reach the depth of understanding concerning prophecies of Christ, we will become like Nephites of old and be able to say: “…we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ….” (2 Nephi 25:26). And may we also LOVE CHRIST. 

 

How much You must love those

Who proclaim Thy holy name.

Thy prophets, Thine everlasting friends,

Thine angels who herald

Thy gospel and Thy name;

To the ends of the earth they speak

And their words forever remain.

- CATHRYNE ALLEN

(Art: Road to Emmaus by Liz Lemon Swindle)

No comments:

Post a Comment