Sunday 10 April 2022

TO SUFFER THE BLOW

 



I have heard it said by some that the Saviour pressed on and performed the Atonement because of His love for us. There is no denying the love but the main reason He did so was because of His submission to do the will of the Father. Consider these scriptures among many that attest to this truth: “I have suffered the will of the Father in all things….” (3 Nephi 11:11); I am Jesus Christ; I came by the will of the Father, and I do his will” (D&C 19:24). 

 

Remember King Benjamin’s discourse on overcoming the natural man, part of which states that we need to be willing ‘to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict’ upon us (Mosiah 3:19)? “Inflict” is a hard word. The dictionary defines it as: to impose as something that must be borne or suffered; to impose anything unwelcome; to deal or deliver as a blow. 

 

What stands out to me the most about the Atonement is the Saviour’s complete willingness to suffer ‘the blow’. Before facing the agony of Gethsemane, Jesus said to His disciples that the hour was coming when they would be scattered and go their own way leaving Him alone and then He said: “….yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me” (John 16:32). On another occasion He clarified this by saying: “And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him” (John 8:29). These statements indicate that He had confidence in Father’s assistance for the duration of His upcoming crucible because He was willing to do His will. Imagine His surprise when that assistance was withdrawn; when He became ‘sore amazed’ (Mark 14:33) to the point of asking: “My God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). Did He have the power to come down from the cross when that question crossed His lips? Yes He did. But even when He felt abandoned, He pressed on submitting to Father’s will, no matter how gruesome the inflicted ‘blow. And then He was able to say prior to His last moment: “….Father it is finished, thy will is done….” (JST Matthew 27:50a)

 

We might have to suffer some blows in this life. And we might have to suffer them alone. But fortunate for us Christ has suffered the greatest blow of all. By virtue of our discipleship, we have access to His  reservoir of endurance, strength and power that is offered to all the faithful. May we be able to say, without trepidation and fear: “I do always those things that please Him”, following the example of Him who submitted to it all that He might overcome all and make it possible for us to bear it all.

 

I marvel at Thy willingness

To descend from the regions of bliss

That was Thy heavenly abode

To become a refuge from the billowing storm,

To pay the ransom for my soul.

 

You lift me up and carry me

Upon Thy wings of hope;

You wipe the tears from my face

And tell me I am strong enough to cope.

 

You are my treasure

My love and my all,

I bow in reverence 

before the foot of Thy throne.

 

 


 - CATHRYNE ALLEN


ART: Behold the Man by Christopher Young


No comments:

Post a Comment