Thursday, 8 October 2026

THE GIFT OF MERCY

 


(Art: The Mockery of Christ by Karl Heinrich Bloch 1880)

Some years ago I read a book by Hugh Nibley titled “Approaching Zion” where he talked at length about the gifts of God that have been given us. It helped me see how the Atonement of Jesus Christ is a gift that cannot be earned. A gift is something that has already been bought with a price, therefore it cannot be re-purchased. A gift is something that is given from the good will of a giver.

The gift of the Atonement is given through grace and even though grace asks for devotion and a broken heart and a contrite spirit of the recipient, it does not ask for perfection. This concept is very transparent on Christmas morning when we give gifts to our children who are not perfect. Their misdemeanours live on but the love and the good will from the giver casts a shadow called a forgiveness by the gift that is given.

I learnt recently that mercy, born of the Atonement, is a gift too. We often read scriptures and take for granted all that is promised us and fail to see that these gifts are not given merely for the asking.

I have for a while now been praying for mercy regarding my illness. I have wanted a healing. There have been days when I felt the absence of it acutely and I am ashamed to admit with that absence came disbelief of God’s love. I could simply not understand it. I thought I qualified even just for a fraction of the ample mercy we are told is ever at the Saviour’s disposal to give. And this is a mistake. If something is there and it is promised, we tend to think we are entitled to it.

It was given to me to see clearly that mercy cannot be given on demand, otherwise it is not mercy. Mercy comes from the one who is merciful to give. It cannot be manipulated, demanded, expected, or even earned. It comes from the Saviour’s merciful heart and therefore it comes on His terms. Saviour’s mercy is a gift that should be trusted in but when and how it is offered is up to Him. 

Because mercy is usually given as a form of relief, if that relief was given us prematurely, it could jeopardize our growth and learning. In my reflection, I asked myself what it is that I am supposed to learn through my suffering. I could see clearly how suffering has not yet produced in me the tolerance that I lacked. Some days I have been highly reactionary to my pain to the point of causing offence to those who try to help me. As I realized this, the Saviour’s example of forbearance and self-control flooded my mind and I knew this suffering was my opportunity to become more Christ-like.

I recalled how He hung on the cross with all the power at His fingertips to get down from the cross but He stayed there listening to those who passed by railing on him, wagging their heads, and saying: “Thou that destroyest the temple and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross…..He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God. The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.” (see Matthew 27:39-44; Mark 15:29-32; Luke 23:34-39).

It has puzzled me why John never did not speak of this in his written record.  His only comment was that the importance of the scriptures regarding Christ should be fulfilled that we might believe (John 19:35,36). Perhaps He understood the Saviour more than all the others. Perhaps he understood His mercy as promised through Isaiah, which was to come for the branch of Israel who would crucify Him and revile Him and forsake Him to worship other gods:

“For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer.

“For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.”    (Isaiah 54:7,8,10)

This mercy has been over 2,000 years in coming but it is coming…..when the Giver comes and sees fit to deliver it. 

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 


No comments:

Post a Comment