Friday 2 August 2024

SINS OF THE FATHERS

 

 

Marching across the pages of the Book of Mormon, is a group of young men who came from the land of Jershon, a land given to their converted Lamanite fathers by the Nephites in 90 B.C. These young men were men of valour and courage, men of truth and soberness, "men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted'' (Alma 53:20). These young men chose the prophet of God to be their military leader  whom they regarded and addressed as 'father' for the duration of their military service (Alma 56:5). These young men were 'stripling warriors' who fought Nephite battles with such conviction and trust in the power of God's deliverance that not one of the 2,000 of them was lost (Alma 58:39). These young men stand today as a testament of good parenting.

 

It is remarkable to note that not one of the Lamanites who were converted through the preaching of Ammon and his brethren ever did fall away from the truth (Alma 23:6). Rather they went on to raise a righteous generation which became a blessing to the Nephite nation. This generation was taught at their mothers' knee the power of God's deliverance, a conviction which gave the rest of the Nephite army 'great hopes and much joy' (Alma 56:17; 47,48). Whereas their mothers taught them about God, the sins of their fathers and their subsequent conversion offered an invaluable lesson to these young men and it does to us also.

 

Because of their past sins, and their covenant of repentance, the fathers of the stripling warriors had to rely on their teenage sons and Nephite's mercy to provide them with protection they could no longer give to their families. Instead they were ‘compelled to watch their brethren wade through their afflictions’ and with trepidation send their young men off to war to fight in their stead (Alma 53:15). Such was their keen sense of responsibility, and I would imagine guilt, that they considered breaking the covenant which they had made to never again shed human blood. Enter Helaman, and his fear they would lose their souls should the covenant be broken, that prevented that disaster (v 15).

 

I have at times reflected on our actions and subsequent impact of them on our children. I have been troubled by the fact that I have not been a better parent to my children and also that my parents were not better parents to me.  I have agonized over the issues and hang ups that have followed me from my childhood and weaknesses, incorrect teachings and false thinking that have been passed down to me by my parents.  Likewise, I have worried about all the bad 'stuff' I have passed on to my children.  I read many years ago about 'inter-generational sins' and how easily we can pass them on to generations of our posterity; seemingly innocent weaknesses and false traditions that somehow end up being serious stumbling blocks to someone down the line.  In other words, how we live not only affects us but many others whose lives we impact.

 

Would it have been better for the stripling warriors if their fathers had never sinned? Of course, but a sinless life is something that escapes all of us in mortality. I see hope when I read about the Stripling Warriors because I see how they have removed their stumbling block and ended the inter-generational sins with them.

 

Now I look at my daughter and see the spiritual guidance and teachings she is giving to her children that I never received in my childhood from my parents and I think, I have done a bit better and she is doing better still. The covenant of obedience that I made with the Saviour when I was baptised and entered the hallowed walls of the temple, stand as an example of hope to my daughter who has followed in my footsteps and my grandchildren who are following in hers. That hope is in Christ, who has overcome the effects of sin for all human family. It is because of Him that our hearts can be turned to our fathers with forgiveness and love that endures forever.

 

Your life has come and gone

But your footprints remain

And your blood courses through my veins.

I know your smile and your frown

Though we have never met.

They are worn by my children

As gems in family diadem;

You are the root

That reaches the branches,

I am the stem that paves the way.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Stripling Warriors from the LDS BOM Seminary Student Manual)

No comments:

Post a Comment