Tuesday 6 August 2024

GROUNDED IN CHRIST

 


I was reading the war chapters of the Book of Mormon with such alacrity that I grieved when I came to the end of the book of Alma. The more I read, the more my eyes were opened to the reality of that time: the hardships, the vast numbers of perished people, the longitude of the wars. It seared my heart and my soul. And yes, I did cry when Helaman and Moroni died (Alma 62:52; 63:4).

Something that really touched me was the undeniable bond of brotherhood and love between the men who captained the armies and fought for liberty and freedom of their country. Who can forget Pahoran’s reply to a passionate, strongly worded letter? Not only was there an absence of offence taken, but only endearing address such as, ‘my beloved brother Moroni’ (Alma 61:14,21). Helaman’s letter to Moroni detailing his warfare also addressed the recipient as ‘my beloved brother Moroni’ (56:2,45; 58:41). This kind of unity during such an acutely distressing time can only exist between men of God.

I have stood amazed at the calibre of these men (Helaman, Moroni, Teancum, Lehi, Gid, Teomner,  Antipus) who fought alongside each other, devised incredible warfare strategies and shared triumphs. The proof of their spiritual tenacity lies in the fact that they always referred to the Lamanites as ‘our brethren’ and always offered them a chance to enter into the covenant of peace before they would consider ending their lives. Reading, ‘I am Helaman, the son of Alma’ at the end of his letter to Moroni, does something to me every time (58:41). It might have been the way to end letters as the custom of the day but to me it reinforces the spiritual root of who Helaman was. It has made me wonder who Moroni’s parents were….they would have to have been amazing parents grounded in their faith of Christ to have raised such a son.

And now the greatest lesson we can learn from the war chapters, from the real heroes…..Helaman’s 2,000 ‘little sons’ (56:27,30,39,44,46). Helaman recounted to Moroni that there was not one of them that didn’t receive many wounds yet not one of them perished (57:25). He attributed this to their faith that if they did not doubt, they would be spared (v 26). I think, however, there was one other contribution to their safety: ‘they did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness’ (21). Obedience always goes hand in hand with the rewards of faith.

So it is with us, we can receive many wounds in this life but death will in the end escape us because of our faith in Christ and His triumph over the physical and spiritual sting of death. And during those wounds and the unrest we face in this world, we can still have inner peace:

“If all the world is crumbling around us, the promised Comforter will provide His peace as a result of true discipleship…We can have His peace with us irrespective of the troubles of the world. His peace is that peace, that serenity, that comfort spoken to our hearts and minds by the Comforter, the Holy Ghost, as we strive to follow Him and keep His commandments….Just as Helaman discovered in the midst of battle that ‘he did speak peace to our souls’ (Alma 58:11)….., all sincere seekers can have that same peace spoken to them. (Elder Dennis E. Simmons, in Conference Report, April 1997; or Ensign May 1997, 31)

ODE TO THE HOLY GHOST

You are the witness,

The Testator of truth,

The illuminator of my path.

Like a salve,

You bring solace to my heart.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Artist Unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment