Saturday 6 July 2024

THE LEGACY OF REMEMBRANCE

 


I don’t think there is a more significant word in the Book of Mormon that is repeated more often than the word ‘remember’. It is commonly used to teach a principle or motivate people to obedience. For this purpose, King Benjamin spoke of ‘remembering’ 15 times in his speech to his sons and to the people gathered to hear him (Mosiah 1:3,4,6,7,17; 2:40 twice, 41 twice; 4:11,28,30; 5:11,12; 6:3).

As I was reading Alma’s instructions to Helaman yesterday, I expected to come across this familiar scripture:   “O remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation….…” I was convinced it was the advice that Alma gave to his sons. However, this scripture was nowhere to be found in the book of Alma. I eventually found it in Helaman 5:12, and to my surprise I discovered this advice was given by Helaman to his sons Nephi and Lehi and not Alma to his sons. I then realized why I got that wrong. When Alma spoke to Helaman he also, at one stage, began with, “O remember, remember…..” (Alma 37:13). Like father, like son……

Alma used the verb ‘remember’ 6 times in speaking to his sons (Alma 37:13,14,32,35; 42:11). Helaman used it 11 times in speaking to his sons in Helaman 5. The legacy of remembrance passed on from Alma to Helaman was so strong that Helaman named his sons Nephi and Lehi for this very purpose (Helaman 5:6). Why did Alma put such importance on remembering? This is why:  As he lay unconscious he ‘remembered’ his father’s prophecy concerning the coming of Jesus Christ and when he pleaded with Christ to have mercy on him, he could not ‘remember’ his pains anymore (Alma 36:17, 19). Remembrance played a crucial part in his conversion.

When we pass on from this life, we hope we will be remembered for ‘something’. None of us want to be forgotten. Nephi is remembered for his obedience, Alma for his repentance, Helaman for his strategic warfare, Captain Moroni for his passionate patriotism, Mormon for his discipleship, Moroni for his endurance, but one thing they all have in common…….a firm foundation in Christ. If we want to be remembered for the same, others need to ‘see’ the Saviour through us. Our lives need to reflect our knowledge and testimony of what He is like and what He can do. This is the ultimate legacy of remembrance.

The Saviour died over 2,000 years ago and He is still remembered by many but many are also trying hard to forget Him and disregard His importance. We can, however, keep the flame burning. The testimony we bear, as His disciples, can ensure the world remembers Him. Why? Because He remembers us, and He will never forget…. In the words of my dear friend Bonnie Lake Bloomfield:

I don’t know how the sun remembers to rise,

Or how the stars remember their places.

I don’t know how the flowers remember to bloom,

Or how in spring the leaves fill their spaces.

It’s enough for me to know who created it,

And I’ll never be the same;

Because I know I have a God who loves me

And a King, who remembers my name.

 

My King, who remembers my name;

A mighty King, who remembers my name!

He is the Lord of all creation,

And yet, my King remembers my name.

I’m a small creature compared to His greatness;

I’m only one and the same,

But I’ll always be His, and He will be mine –

A King, who remembers my name!

 

I look at the world today with people

Rushing about without thinking of why;

Why we’re all here, and what is life about

And where we all go when we die.

But I know, and I’ll ever be thankful

That I know from whence I came.

I’ll go home to heaven once more,

To my King, who remembers my name.


(Bonnie Lake Bloomfield)


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Worlds Without Number by Greg Olsen)


No comments:

Post a Comment