Tuesday 9 July 2024

LIAHONA

 

I have a ‘rearview mirror syndrome’. I am forever evaluating and re-evaluating my life to see if I had followed God’s plan for me properly or if I have missed opportunities to make my life better or if I have plain and simple, made blunders. The dictionary defines this word as a stupid or careless mistake. I know I have been faithful to God’s commandments my entire life but it’s those finer things that always have me questioning. It doesn’t help that I am an idealist and a perfectionist which is a double challenge to live with and be kind to yourself at the same time.

I am fascinated with Alma’s insight into the function of the Liahona, a compass prepared by God and given to Lehi and his family which was to guide them to the promised land (Alma 37:38). The first point of interest is that the Liahona didn’t work without any effort of the people who possessed it. There had to be faith in God for the compass to work (v 40). The second was that Lehi’s company became ‘slothful’ in exercising their faith hence the eight years of travel in the wilderness where they suffered hunger and thirst (v 42). The inference here is that they would have travelled the direct course and avoided the affliction they suffered had they not become complacent about their faith in God. No doubt, however, the journey would still have been difficult enough through a desert "so compelling that even the hardened Bedouins avoid like the plague...detestable certainly describes the place in the eyes of Lehi's people, who 'murmured' bitterly at being led into such a hell." (Hugh Nibley, Lehi In the Desert, p 51). It was not, however, necessary to wander in this wilderness for eight years suffering constant hunger, being the rule of the desert; danger from encounter with ever warring Arab tribes; loneliness from isolation; taxing marches down the Arabian Peninsula and fear from possible camp raiders. The lesson here is that we make our lives harder sometimes than they need to be. Isn’t life hard enough without us complicating it more through complacency and disobedience?

Alma’s most powerful insight came as he compared ‘the words of Christ’ to the Liahona (v 44-45). He pointed out that the way which has been prepared for us to obtain eternal life is the easy part. Our complacency and slothfulness in being observant of Christ’s words, and living by them, will not make our life’s journey as easy as it could be, but if we will ‘look’ on Him as the Liahona of our lives, we will ‘live forever’ (v 46)

I guess it comes down to what we ultimately want. Some of us are content to wander through this life and never arrive at our destination. Some of us are content to live in the wilderness. If only we could have a glimpse of the destiny which awaits us. We are told that ‘the glory of the telestial world surpasses all understanding’ (D&C 76:89). Imagine what life with God the Father and His Son would be like. I don’t think we are capable of that kind of imagination. We shouldn’t want to imagine it anyway, we should want to live it.

I long to be where I once was,

To return to my eternal home.

I long to see the God of love

And with Him walk the heaven’s floor.

 

- CATHRYNE ALLEN

(Art: Guiding Light A Serene Encounter by Ivan Guaderrama)

No comments:

Post a Comment