Sunday, 4 October 2026

THE CRUCIBLE OF MORTALITY



Back in 2024 I read the October General Conference talk by Elder Brook P. Hales entitled “Mortality Works” and I sobbed, not because of any new fresh perspective, but because of the sheer, raw admittance that this life is incredibly hard.

I cried reflecting on my own life and the many, many times I wished I could be free of it and I learnt that it is ok that I felt this way. Over the years I have chided myself for not being valiant enough to want to be here in this world of suffering and have envied those people who tenaciously cling onto life even when they are sick or incapacitated. Right now I am both of those things and feel like I am in a cage. I have learnt a great deal through this crucible of my life. The lessons have been unrelenting as has the suffering.

At times I have reflected on the unfairness of it all. Had I not been faithful all my life? Had I not sacrificed and served and given all I could of myself to the cause of truth? And yet my life resembles only one of my expectations I brought here with me.  I am learning right now to accept unfairness. Once I am there completely, I will up that expectation of myself to be willing to submit to the crucible of this life. I imagine once I succeed, my end will come.

Isaiah wrote a lot about the unfairness of the Saviour’s life labeling Him ‘a man of sorrows’ (Isaiah 53:3). This title does not relate to just His suffering for us but to His entire earthly life which was the most unfair one of all. There is another scripture though which speaks to me the most regarding this unfairness in which Isaiah quotes that He was not rebellious and did not turn back from His crucible but instead He went to it willingly and ‘gave His back to the smiters’ not hiding ‘from shame and spitting’ (Isaiah 50:5,6). It’s the acceptance of it that speaks to my heart.

Herein is the unfairness of life of the one sinless man: His family didn’t believe in Him at first (John 7:1-5); His countrymen were offended by Him (Mark 6:3); He was rejected by his home town of Nazareth, the citizens of which sought to kill Him (Matt 13:53-58; Luke 4:13-30; Mark 6:1-6); the Jews accused Him of being born of fornication (John 8:41); the Jewish Council considered Him possessed of the devil and sought to kill Him (John 7:19, 20); He had no permanent home of His own (Luke 9:58); one friend betrayed Him and another denied knowing Him (Luke 22:48, 54-62); all His disciples forsook Him and fled (Matt 25:56; His enemies demanded His crucifixion (Matt 27:22-23).

And all this before He would descend into the bottomless pit of human agony in the ‘valley of humiliation’ as He took upon himself the crucible of the “most wretched of all sinners” and “descended beneath the cruelest tortures devised by man”:

“His downward journey encompassed the transgressions of those who ignorantly sinned; it incorporated the quantum of suffering unelated to spiritual error, but nonetheless viably acute in stinging proportions – the agony of loneliness, the pain of inadequacy, the suffering of infirmities and sickness. In the course of his divine descent He was assaulted with every temptation inflicted on the human race.

“If the totality of human suffering and anxiety could be categorized, it might be broken down as follows: first, suffering caused by sin; second, suffering that flows from innocent transgression of the law; third, suffering related to infirmities, weaknesses, inadequacies, or trials that have nothing to do with sin or transgression; fourth, suffering or anxiety necessitated by the exercise of faith. The scriptures are replete with evidence that the Saviour did not exempt himself from any of these but rather faced each of them “square on”.  (Tad R. Callister, The Infinite Atonement, p 104-5)

And indeed He also had to experience the unfairness of mortal life so that He could understand ours. How degraded He must have felt by this crude archaic backward life after leaving His throne on high! Imagine a god in his own right being rejected, spat upon, beaten, reviled and crucified naked by mortal weaklings for the sake of their sinful souls. Is there a greater unfairness than this?

In all honesty, I don’t know how I would react if I was asked right now, in the midst of my suffering, if I could take on the burdens of one other person. Yes, the load of Christ’s suffering was relative to His power but it leaves me wondering how small my power must be if I could not bear one inch more of what I am enduring for myself.

The unfairness of Christ’s life is beyond my comprehension. My consolation is that in my darkest hour, my wish to escape is honoured by the God who is the most acquainted with grief . His compassion is ever affixed and His desire to lift us higher ever present. He understands and He suffers with us through it all. Yes, because of Him, mortality works.

Oh, the pain that seared Your heart

As you encountered human misery

On the dusty roads of Galilee!

You embraced it all so lovingly

And took it with You to the hill of Calvary.

 You, who ached for our misery,

became  the beacon of hope

For all who accept Your godly suffering.

 

-      CATHRYNE ALLEN

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment