Tuesday 24 September 2024

THE GREAT MEDIATOR

 



I could not hold back the tears yesterday whilst reading chapter 17 of 3 Nephi. So spiritually and emotionally charged was the multitude as the Saviour taught them, that they became ‘weak’ whilst listening to Him, but yet their tears at His imminent departure pleaded for more time in His presence (3 Nephi 17:2,5).

And so in His compassion and mercy, Christ tarried and healed all that needed healing: the sick, the lame, the blind, the dumb and ‘all that were afflicted in any manner’ (v 9). Imagine suffering from depression, anxiety, phobia or any mental health issue that are not so readily seen and stepping forward, unrestrained, to be healed at the hands of the Great Healer……because HE sees….

The intercessory prayer pre-crucifixion gives us a great glimpse into Christ’s role as The Great Mediator but Chapter 17 of 3 Nephi would have to be the most emotive one. Verse 14 tells us that He ‘groaned within himself as He said: “Father, I am troubled because of the wickedness of the people of the house of Israel”. Immediately following, He knelt upon the ground and prayed for such marvelous things for those who were with Him that they could not be recorded (v 17).

I have always wanted to know what was in that prayer. I wondered what His prayer for me would be. Would He pray for mercy for my inadequacies or would there be enough to swell His heart with gratitude for my faithfulness? The Nephites who heard Him pray for them were overcome and filled with joy (v 17, 18). Perhaps this was the reason:

“Each of us, lives on a kind of spiritual credit. One day the account will be closed, a settlement demanded. However casually we may view it now, when that day comes and the foreclosure is imminent, we will look around in restless agony for someone, anyone, to help us….

“Unless there is a mediator, unless we have a friend, the full weight of justice untampered, unsympathetic, must positively must, fall on us. The full recompense for every transgression, however minor or however deep, will be exacted from us to the uttermost farthing.

“But know this: Truth, glorious truth, proclaims there is such a Mediator. ‘For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus’ (1 Timothy 2:5).”

-        Boyd K. Packer, The Mediator, General Conference April 1977

Following His prayer, the Saviour said to the multitude: “Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full” (v 20). So full was His joy that He wept (v 21).

For some years now I have uttered these exact words in my prayers: ‘I ask for strength to walk in paths of righteousness that I might be a delight in Thine hand and bring Thee joy forever’. When the Saviour brings me before the Father’s throne to kneel at His feet I will weep if I see His joy.

One day soon Father,

when I kneel at Your throne

I will bring you my deeds

from my earthly home.

Because of Thy Son’s mercy,

Consider them bliss,

And greet me joyfully

With an holy kiss.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Jesus Christ is Lord by kBrake)


No comments:

Post a Comment