Saturday 28 September 2024

HOLY SPIRIT:

 



I might have difficulty in expressing myself  today as I recount the influence of the spirit of which I wish to bear witness.

A week ago I had a priesthood blessing to receive some clarity regarding my health and the path I need to take next. I felt I didn’t receive any answers regarding my present earthly sojourn. Instead I was told that my ‘eternal rewards are stacking up’. I felt guilty because I did not appreciate this as much as I should have because I know after all, this is most important, but I badly needed some comfort and clarity regarding my present condition.

A week later the clarity came in amazing force….and it wasn’t what I expected. I felt the influence of the Holy Ghost so strongly that I could not hold back the weeping. I was taught, I was born witness to what I was told and I knew what my path needed to be. As I expressed my gratitude through prayer, over and over my words pointed to the footprints of the Saviour of the world that I needed to follow. Once again the tears flowed. I had my answer. He was the Shepherd and I was the sheep.

When I had my blessing, I was anointed with holy oil. I read recently a wonderful analogy regarding anointing and sheep:

“Sheep can get their head caught in briers and die trying to get untangled. There are [also] horrid little flies that like to torment sheep by laying eggs in their nostrils which turn into worms and drive the sheep to beat their head against a rock, sometimes to death. Their ears and eyes are also susceptible to tormenting insects. So the shepherd anoints their whole head with oil. Then there is peace.”

I can relate to the experience of the sheep. I felt tormented too. The writer, who to me is unknown, continued on to say that if we have mental and physical torment, God can anoint our heads with oil so we can fix our hearts and mind and have our eyes on Him always.

The Bible Dictionary defines the anointing oil as ‘a symbol for purity and for the Holy Spirit and its influence’. The most important anointing that makes this possible is this:

“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives….to comfort all that mourn….to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He might be glorified” (Isaiah 61:1-3)

He is the Shepherd and we are the sheep. As we follow, through His spirit, He anoints our heads with oil to give us beauty for ashes and everlasting peace. And He watches over you and me because He has promised He knows His sheep (3 Nephi 18:31).


How grateful to know Your voice

In this world of utter despair

And hear it echo

In Your loving tender care.

 

How fiercely You watch,

How tenderly You care,

How safe You make me feel

Knowing You are ever there.

 

How grateful I am to be in Your flock,

How grateful to be in Your keep;

You are my shepherd

And I am Your sheep.

 


- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Eva Koleva Timothy) 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment