Thursday 24 August 2023

HOLY COMMUNION

 



Because the Saviour instituted the Sacrament following the Last Supper, the early members of the Church maintained a practice of having a meal together followed by the Sacrament. Paul advised the Corinthians against this practice, however, as the meals were sometimes consumed before all saints arrived, resulting in discord among them (1 Corinthians 11:17-22). This was contrary to the culture of the Near East where dining together was an expression of unity, peace and friendship. It was during a meal together that any problems and disagreements were resolved and all parties were reconciled.  Paul referred to the sacrament as ‘communion’ not just between individuals and Christ but also between fellow saints (1 Corinthians 10:17). Since we collectively, by baptism, become the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13), and since the sacrament is a renewal of our baptismal covenants, each time we partake of the sacrament, we affirm our communion with one another and with the Saviour, and thus become one. We partake together á meal’ of unity, peace and friendship.  So united, we enjoy greater communion with Him who has brought us together by virtue of His sacrifice. (See the New Testament Institute Manual for above scripture references and their explanations)

 

Until now, I have always considered the Sacrament a very individual and personal ordinance between me and the Lord. The greatest spiritual connection I have felt during the sacrament ordinance was during the pandemic lockdowns when I was fortunate enough to sit at my daughter’s kitchen table and partake of the sacrament with her, her husband and my grandchildren. Each time, my emotions would surge to the point of tears. I didn’t understand it at the time but now when I reflect on it, I am certain it is the unity I felt with those I love during my most sacred moment when I felt united in spirit with Christ. This is His power….to unite us through His sacrifice with a bond that can never be broken. This is what it means to be together forever. I will think about that next time I see a deacon approaching me with bread and water and I am certain I will weep…..

 

To my lips I press the cup

With bitter taste I drink it up;

In remembrance of blood spilt

My sins increase the bitter still.

 

The sorrow rends my weeping heart

The contrite spirit hope imparts.

You reach for me with tender touch:

Weep not, I wept for you so much!

The price was paid, your souls were won

All our hearts now beat as one.

 - CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art by Greg Olsen)



No comments:

Post a Comment