Monday 24 July 2023

THE REVEALER OF CHRIST

 


“The gift of the Holy Ghost inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness, and charity. It develops beauty of person, form, and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation, and social feeling It invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.” (Parley P. Pratt, “Key to the Science of Theology”, p 101).

 

Considering all he CAN do, the gift of the Holy Ghost is God’s greatest gift pertaining to this life. All he DOES do, however, is very much up to us. It is one thing to have a gift, any gift, and another to be enjoying the same. I want to bear witness of what the Holy Ghost has done for me. He has invigorated my spiritual senses and opened my mind to understand the truths of eternity, he has endeared me to the things of the spirit and enabled me to distance myself from the world, he has recalled to my memory events of my pre-existence, and the greatest thing He has done is reveal to me the Christ. It is very seldom that my daily scripture study will not bear fruit to this fact. I see the Saviour on every page and I see who He is: His character, His personality, His attributes, His passions, His devotion, His love, His mercy. But this is the beginning of something greater.

 

Elder Holland has stated that besides His atoning sacrifice, Christ’s purpose of coming to this earth was to reveal to us the Father (Jeffrey R. Holland, The Grandeur of God, GC, October 2003). The Saviour spoke often of Him being one with the Father, in every respect: spiritually, intellectually, physically (John 14:9). All the Saviour was and did in mortality was a reflection of the Father. The Holy Ghost has not only brought this to my intellectual understanding, but has helped me see in my heart the distinction between the two most important personages in my life. The closeness I have felt with each can only come through the medium of the Holy Ghost who has brought to my remembrance my eternal association with both. This is the greatest blessing that has come to me in this life. And I owe that to the one person who works so tirelessly to help us see the path of salvation through Christ and the way home to the Father. 

 

The days you embrace my heart

I can scarce contain my tears.

You are the Witness,

The Testator of truth,

The illuminator of my path.

I crave your presence

In the caverns of my heart.

 

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 


(Art: As One (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) by Danny Hahlbohm)


No comments:

Post a Comment