Sunday 13 November 2022

STANDING IN HOLY PLACES

 

 

 

“The Church is a gathering place for imperfect individuals who love God and who are willing to follow the Lord Jesus Christ. That willingness is rooted in the reality that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God. This divine truth can be known only by the power of the Holy Ghost. Therefore, our willingness is directly proportionate to the amount of time we commit to be in holy places where the influence of the Holy Ghost is present.” (Elder Kevin W. Pearson, "Are You Still Willing?", General Conference October 2022)

My last Relief Society lesson was based on the abovementioned talk by Elder Pearson. As I was preparing the lesson I reflected upon my favourite ‘holy place’ where I feel the influence of the Holy Ghost the most. That holy place for me is my daily scripture study. I have noticed over the years how the Holy Ghost has not only borne witness of the truths I have been learning but has broadened my panoramic view of things of eternity to enlarge my understanding. I have especially noticed that this year as my ability to glean scriptural insights has increased. Some days during my study I have been reduced to tears when the spirit has flooded my mind and my heart. I testify that the Holy Ghost is a personage without whom our understanding of truth would come to naught. But there is more….. “The gift of the Holy Ghost…… inspires: virtue, kindness, goodness, beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation, and social feeling. It develops and invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual mind. It strengthens, invigorates, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.” (Elder Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, p. 101). Who would not want him for a companion?

 

I am certain that without the influence of the Holy Ghost, I would not know the Saviour as I know Him today. I am certain he brings me to the foot of His throne each time I contemplate the truths of eternity. That contemplation points the path and the way to Him who is the source of all truth and who is the author of my salvation: Jesus Christ, the lover of my soul, the Son of the living God. 

 

ODE TO THE HOLY GHOST:

The days you embrace my heart

I can scarce contain my tears.

You are the witness,

The Testator of truth,

The illuminator of my path.

I crave your presence

In the caverns of my heart.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN

(Art: As One (The Godhead) by Danny Hahlbohm)


No comments:

Post a Comment