Monday 6 December 2021

ALMA THE FATHER

 



The 18 months my daughter spent on her mission was the happiest time of my life. I knew where she was, that she was safe and that she was doing the best thing she could possibly do in her then young life. She was in Australia, being looked after by a caring Mission President, she was well fed, had access to all the conveniences and health care that she could want and she was having wonderful spiritual experiences. I knew all this because I myself had served a mission in Australia and that had been my experience. I am sure many of you parents who have had children serve missions have felt the same.

 

There is a missionary story in the Book of Mormon that tugs at my heart. It is the story of Shiblon, Alma’s righteous son who accompanied him on a mission to the hostile Zoramites. I love the sentiments of love and joy that Alma expressed for this son. Helaman was the golden boy, Corinaton was a good boy gone bad but Shiblon was the middle son and the only one who suffered for Christ’s sake. Alma commended Shiblon for his faithfulness, patience, diligence and long suffering during his mission (Alma 38:3) suggesting there was no peaceful assurance for Alma that his son was doing missionary work in the lap of luxury. He says that Shiblon was ‘in bonds’ and that he was ‘stoned for the word’s sake’ (Alma 38:4). Imagine knowing your missionary son was being stoned on his mission……Now here is an interesting thing. Alma didn’t protect his son by sending him home to safety. He instead commended him for his diligence and told him to continue in his labours (Alma 38:15). 

 

I was a single mother for many years. During that time I did everything in my power to protect my two daughters from any danger and pain. I over-compensated and over-sacrificed repeatedly because I am an emotional female and lack that pragmatic restraint that men so capably employ in their parental skills. Note Alma’s wisdom in not protecting his son from hardship. He teaches Shiblon that if he puts his trust in God he shall be delivered out of his trials, troubles and afflictions AND  he shall be lifted up at the last day (Alma 38:5). Why use these two concepts in one sentence? It suggests Alma could see that temporal difficulties would teach Shiblon that the Saviour’s power of temporal deliverance is a similitude of His power of spiritual deliverance which leads to eternal life and he wanted his son to learn this lesson. It’s the greatest thing he could have possibly done for him. I take my hat off to Alma as a parent because you can do nothing greater than bring your children to Christ. This is  most evident in his call to repentance he extended to his son Corinaton which comprises four chapters and gives us the most comprehensive teaching on the Plan of Salvation. The most endearing thing about this is that he makes it known repeatedly that this is not just a sermon but a personal admonition by saying ‘my son’ 24 times in those chapters. It makes me want to weep….Amidst his great achievements, none are as great as Alma’s achievements as a parent….who cannot be touched by another son’s bold and loving proclamation: “Behold, I am Helaman, the son of Alma” (Alma 58:41). It gets me every time….

 

Your words of courage bear me up

On wings of faith 

I follow in your footsteps father,

I stand as a witness of

His holy name.


 

CATHRYNE ALLEN


(Art: "This My Son" by Elspeth C Young)


No comments:

Post a Comment