Monday, 14 September 2026

HONOURING HIS SACRIFICE

 



“To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? Saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats…..bring no more vain oblations….I am weary to bear them…..when ye make many prayers, I will not hear….” (Isaiah 1:11-15)

Animal sacrifice is something we of our day cannot relate to until we study the practice in full to understand how it pointed to the sacrifice of the only sinless man who sacrificed himself for every sinful person that will ever walk this earth. The year I studied this ancient practice I discovered the power of personal consecration and wished I could have witnessed animal sacrifice in person.

Israel of old lost the sacredness and solemnity of animal sacrifice as they slid into such a sinful state that it became to them a habit and an excuse for feasts and festivals (Isaiah 1:13,14). The true meaning was lost, the Saviour was not honoured for His power of salvation, and he rejected the killing of animals which held no redemptive power.

I have read the abovementioned scriptures before, but yesterday they brought a fresh perspective into my mind. There is a practice akin to animal sacrifice which we of this day participate in. Whereas ancient Israel needed an ongoing ritual to point them to Christ who was to come to atone for them, we today have an ongoing ritual to point us to Christ who has been and atoned for us. It is called the sacrament.

Well might the Saviour also reject our partaking of the sacrament if it is done without the necessary commitment of repentance. What good is our breaking of the bread in vain if it is not done with a broken heart and a contrite spirit? In partaking the sacrament without intent to repent, our sins continue to do what Paul called “crucifying the Son of God afresh” (Hebrews 6:6).

The power of the sacrament is one of purifying our souls to the state of forgiveness because the broken bread is a revered symbol of the broken flesh of the Saviour who would lift us higher to the throne of God than we can ever hope to lift ourselves. There is no sin, except the sin against the Holy Ghost, that is greater than His Atonement for ‘though our sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow, though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool (Isaiah 1:18). This is grace, this is mercy, this is forgiveness of the suffering God for all of Israel who come to Him with sincere repentance born of a broken heart.

He is the Shepherd of Israel

Who would not see us lost,

Who rescued our souls

Never counting the cost.

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 


No comments:

Post a Comment