Tuesday 1 October 2024

THE SACRAMENTAL PROMISE

 



One of the focal points of Christ’s visit to the Americas was the instituting of the priesthood ordinance of Sacrament, the principal purpose of which was to remember Him (3 Nephi 18:6,7). In return those who partake receive the fulfilment of this glorious promise:

1.     They will be filled with the Holy Ghost (3 Nephi 18:9; 20:8,9), who is “our comforter, our direction finder, our communicator, our interpreter, our witness, and our purifier – our infallible guide and sanctifier for our mortal journey toward eternal life” (Elder Oaks, in Conference Report, Oct. 1996);

2.     They will be built upon the rock (3 Nephi 18:12): “But whose among you shall do more or less than these are not built upon my rock, but are built upon a sandy foundation; and when the rain descends and the floods come, and the winds blow, and beat upon them, they shall fall, and the gates of hell are ready open to receive them” (v 19).

3.     They will have the ministering of angels: “Through the Aaronic Priesthood ordinances of baptism and the sacrament, we are cleansed of our sins and promised that if we keep our covenants we will always have His Spirit with us. I believe that promise not only refers to the Holy Ghost but also to the ministering of angels, for ‘angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore they speak the words of Christ’ (2 Nephi 32:3) (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, in Conference Report, Oct 1998, 50-51 or Ensign Nov 1998).

I had my most personal Sacrament experience during the covid lockdowns. I sat at my daughter's kitchen table as my son-in-law reverently blessed the sacrament. Each time I did so I was overcome emotionally and truly understood the spirit of this sacred occasion. As I sat there I was reminded of the very first Sacrament where the Saviour sat at just such an ordinary table and blessed the emblems of His sacrifice. 

For Him there was no chapel with cushy seats, no organ to assist the song, no fluffy white bread to pleasure the tongue. As my son-in-law passed the sacrament to me on the kitchen plate I came to know what it means to 'eat His body' as I have eaten off that kitchen plate before. Never before have I felt so close to the Saviour during Sacrament as I have at my daughter's kitchen table. His sublime words echoed in my heart: “He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him…..he that eateth of this bread shall live forever” (John 6:56-8).

Thy body for me broken

Thy blood for me spilt

Thy death for me offered

That I might live with Thee still.

- CATHRYNE ALLEN 

(Art: Remembering Jesus by Simon Dewey)

No comments:

Post a Comment