Thursday 30 March 2023

BE STILL MY SOUL

 


 

Matthew tells us that He, who would die for the sake of His sheep, was greatly pained by the spiritual state of the House of Israel during His earthly ministry regarding them ‘scattered abroad as sheep having no shepherd’ (Matthew 9:36), but He, the greatest Shepherd of all made a promise by the mouth of Ezekiel some 500 years before: “Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out….I will feed my flock….I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick…..And I will make with them a covenant of peace….for ye are my flock, the flock of my pasture,  and I am your God…...” (Ezekiel 34:2,4,11,15-16,25,31).

 

And further by the mouth of Jeremiah, a promise more pertinent to us, modern day Israel: “….I will gather the remnant of my flock…and I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the Lord….” (Jeremiah 23:1-6). Today the Master Shepherd watches over His sheep under the watchful eye of the shepherds of His Church. As General Conference draws near, may we, the sheep of His flock, thirst for the green pastures enriched by the words of the shepherds…..

 

Be still my soul

And know that He leads you

By the voice of His heart.

He beckons and He calls

Your spirit to ignite

To truth and godly path.

His love will find you,

He will lead you and save your soul,

He is the Shepherd

Who will answer your call.


- CATHRYNE ALLEN


(Art: Love Everlasting by Yongsung Kim)


No comments:

Post a Comment